Midtjylland and PAOK meet for the first time in European competition as they meet in the UEFA Europa Conference League knockout stage.
• Nine points in UEFA Europa League Group F was not enough to keep Midtjylland in this competition as they finished under Crvena zvezda and Braga, a 0-0 draw against bottom-placed Ludogorets in the the 6th day, decisive. PAOK, meanwhile, picked up 11 points as they finished second in UEFA Europa Conference League Group F to Midtjylland’s national rivals FC Copenhagen.
• Midtjylland’s only previous meeting with a Greek opponent ended in a complete defeat against Panathinaikos in the 2014/15 UEFA Europa League qualifying play-offs (1-4 a, 1-2 h).
• PAOK claimed their first victory in Denmark on their third attempt, beating Copenhagen 2-1 on Matchday 3 thanks to goals from Sidcley and Andrija Živković. They lost at home by the same scoreline two weeks later, with Živković on target again, setting the Salonika team’s all-time record against Danish W3 D1 L2 sides. PAOK won one and lost one of their previous knockout matches with Danish clubs.
Midtjylland vs PAOK: the latest match news
• Midtjylland’s runners-up finish in the 2020/21 Danish Superliga, one point behind champions Brøndby, earned them an immediate return to the group stage of the UEFA Champions League, which they first featured in last season . However, after overcoming Celtic in the second qualifying round, Bo Henriksen’s side were knocked out in the third by PSV Eindhoven and thus made a second appearance in the UEFA Europa League group stage.
• Unlike the first, in 2015/16 the Jutland team could not progress further. Although they revived their chances with spectacular back-to-back wins over Crvena zvezda (1-0 a) and Braga (3-2 a) on matchdays 4 and 5 respectively, that final stalemate in Bulgaria left them in third place , meaning a mid-term move to the UEFA Europa Conference League.
• Midtjylland have lost just one of their last six European home matches (2 wins, 3 defeats) and won their only continental encounter after Christmas in Denmark, beating Manchester United 2-1 in the first leg of the UEFA Europa League 2015/16. round of 16 before exiting the competition with a 5-1 defeat at Old Trafford.
• PAOK qualified for the UEFA Europa Conference League twice last season, as league runners-up to Olympiacos and Greek Cup winners – for the eighth time – with a 2-1 victory on the champions in the final.
• After leaving the UEFA Europa League last season in the group stage, PAOK entered the inaugural UEFA Europa Conference League in the third qualifying round, where, under Răzvan Lucescu, they beat Bohemians before to eliminate Rijeka in the play-offs. In the group stage, where they were the only representatives of Greece, they twice beat the Lincoln Red Imps of Gibraltar 2-0 and drew against Slovan Bratislava (1-1 h, 0-0 a) in more than having swapped those away wins with Copenhagen. .
• A 2-0 win at Rijeka in August ended PAOK’s nine-game winless streak on the road in UEFA competition (D1 L8). However, Matchday 3 success in Copenhagen saw the Salonika club win three consecutive away European matches for the first time in their history. They are now undefeated on the road for four matches (W3 D1).
UEFA Europa Conference League squad changes
In: Max Meyer (Fenerbahçe, loan), Vágner Love (Kairat Almaty), Mads Thychosen (Nordsjælland)
Outside: Jens-Lys Cadjus (Reims), Dion Cools (Zulte Waregem, loan), Mads Hansen (Nordsjælland), Jakob Larsen, Jonas Lössl (Brentford, loan)
In: Filipe Soares (Moreirense), Antonio Čolak (Malmö, full loan), Sverrir Ingi Ingason
Outside: Aventis Aventisian (Go Ahead Eagles), Anderson Esiti, Ioannis Konstantelias (Eupen, loan), Fernando Varela, Karol Świderski (Charlotte)
Links and stories
• Midtjylland midfielder Pione Sisto’s next appearance in UEFA club competition will be his 50th.
• Paulinho (Midtjylland) and Douglas Augusto (PAOK) were teammates at Brazilian club Bahía from January to June 2019.
• Max Meyer, Midtjylland’s new loanee from Fenerbahçe, scored against PAOK for Schalke in the German club’s 3-0 away win in the first leg of the 2016 UEFA Europa League Round of 16 /17. It was one of four games he played. for Schalke against PAOK, winning two and drawing two.
• Croatian PAOK striker Antonio Čolak spent the 2021 season under Danish manager Jon Dahl Tomasson in Malmö, winning the Swedish Allsvenskan and also making the UEFA Champions League group stage.
• PAOK coach Lucescu turns 53 on match day.
• This is Midtjylland’s 11th European game this season, making 2021/22 the club’s longest continental campaign.
Download the Europe app!